Monday, September 28, 2009

Make Your Statement.

Okay, I'll admit flat out: I USE ABUSIVELY USE AWAY MESSAGES. but just sometimes! So there are those moments when I'm dying to share that cute music video link and will make that my away message for a while. Or I'll post a super funny quote that I heard so that people can comment on it. Or maybe I'll even put an away message with some song lyrics that ambiguously express my mood. Though I'd say that happens probably 1/6 times (just a guesstimate), I think that for the most part, I do use away message as what they are intended for. I actually checked my last 3 away messages and they are as follows:
1.TIME TO DORM WORK IT UPPPP!
2. GYMTIMES=FUNTIMESSSSS :)
3. Busy for a whileeees
No joke, all quoted from myself. Yes I do type in caps for a while, and yes we analyzed it in class, but I think that the caps are just to show excitement. Who doesn't like a little dormwork and gymtimes? Exactly.

I digress! I think that the main "problem" I have with away messages is that I forget to turn it off. So literally, I'll be gymmerizing it at 2 in the morning. Whoops. Forgot to take that down when I got back! I can see how that would be deceptive and downright frustrating for those who want to talk and think that I'm perpetually at the gym. I'd like to also add that it sometimes creates this false face. I do gym for 2 hours, but not for 4-5, which is what it sometimes comes off as. So I think that's how I actively abuse away messages in terms of that function.

And now, FACEBOOK. The best time distracter ever! Why, I'm even on it now! From those e-mail notifications (which I turn off) to the cute on site notifications, it all just seems to encourage our fascination to update ourselves on other's lives. With the new layout, you can't possibly help but feel like a creeper sometimes. The new "Newsfeed" is chalk full of status updates, pictures, and worst of all, comments posted between your friends. So not only can you stalk a specific friend at ease, you can stalk other people's relationships too! Now that's a little creepy, I must say, but hey... it's the new layout I swear!

Facebook has also evolved the easy access to information. Recently met a cute guy or girl and don't know if he or she is taken? Find them on facebook and check the relationship status, and you can either decide to move on, or let the bearings change. Don't know enough about someone to see if you're really compatible? Just scroll through their music, TV shows, quotes, etc. to see if anything matches. You might find this a little too intrusive, but isn't that why the information is posted to begin with? So we can make a statement about ourselves... to other people who in turn read it and ultimately learn more about you.

So I've come to the conclusion in this blog that we're just fascinated with each our lives and others as well. We make away messages and update facebook to make a statement or to make things a little more fun. Hopefully someone will respond to my away, or maybe someone will know more about me and our friendship will be stronger. It's all about the statement.

2 comments:

  1. I totally abuse away messages too. I like how AIM has a little status bar now, so at least I feel like my random messages are a little bit less out of place...yeah but don't feel bad because I always write random but conversationally inviting things in my status bar. And it definitely is about making a statement. Describing why you are away and when you will be back (practical information) is always secondary to more interesting/random pieces of information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I understand this infatuation with everyone else's lives, hahaha. Maybe its just because I find my own life hard enough to keep track of that I could never keep track of everyone else's; or maybe I'm just missing something. I hope I find out some day.

    ReplyDelete