Monday, October 12, 2009

Cell it!

5 conversations
Sister: "What'd you call me for?"
Older Sister: "I'm bored, what's up"
Good Friend: "When do you want dinner?"
Friend from High School (goes to East Coast): "CATHY WANG, I MISS YOU!"
Friend: "Hey, are you free?"
The last 5 conversations I had, with the except of one, didn't really address my name, but instead got straight to the point. My sister's are pretty frank, and don't put any formality into our phone conversations because we all find it unnecessary. We're all so comfortable with each other that a formal greeting is not expected. Same thing with friends. Since we've all programmed each other into our phones, we're pretty sure that we didn't misdial and have the right person. Since it's generally expected that only the person with the number picks up (assuming it's a cell phone) then the caller doesn't have to go through the trouble of having someone else in the family pick up, as would happen with a land line. Cell phones, in terms of etiquette is concerned, is even less formal than the landlines because you know (or assume you know) the person who is going to pick up.

This habit seems to be acceptable, up until you misdial and intend to call one person, but end up calling another. Quite unfortunate. In that case, you look-er sound- completely dysfunctional because you expected someone to pick up, so you commence with the conversation, much to the other person's surprise and confusion. Happens to me on phones less often than it does on AIM, but it's still a habit I'm trying to kick.

Texting is bad news bears. I used to text all the time until one day I went over by a lot... and I mean a lot... and my parents officially canceled my plan for the rest of my life. Sigh. When I used to text, I texted in class, out of class, all the time! Whenever you need a quick question answered or you want to make plans, but can't or dont feel like talking, then texting is the way to go. Texting can also be seen as more fun because you respond on your own accord and have time to think about what you want to say instead of having the time restraints of an actual conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment